Friday, July 28, 2017

Q&A on O.J. Simpson's Parole: Was It the Right Decision?

Terp Young Scholars journalism students asked folks on the University of Maryland campus how they felt about former professional football player O.J. Simpson winning parole for his kidnapping and armed robbery convictions, which carried 33-year prison terms. Simpson, 70, could be released as early as Oct. 1 for the 2007 crimes in a Las Vegas hotel room, for which he was convicted in 2008. (Simpson had earlier been acquitted of the 1994 murders of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.) 

What follows are some of the responses the students collected.

Naleen Nbambaui, 15, a high school sophomore, from Hyattsville, Maryland:
“He shouldn’t be let out. He held someone against their will. [And] I still think he’s guilty for killing Nicole [his ex-wife].”


Genesis Herrera, 20, a receptionist, from Silver Spring, Maryland:
“I felt like he was guilty for the murder trial. I feel like he’s getting away for the second time.”

Jackie Harris, 45, an English teacher, from Columbia, Maryland:
“I’m happy that he’s out. [The] sentence was too long for the crime.”

Lisa Leonard, 49, a stay-at-home mom from Los Angeles:
“For that crime, it’s the right decision. … It was the right legal decision.”

Craig Scheff, 52, a rabbi, from Rockland County, New York:
“I am quite conflicted about the ruling that came down with respects to O.J. Simpson’s parole being granted. I’m conflicted because on one hand I’m very suspicious about the first crime for which he was tried, and I am also considering the fact that he served his time for the second crime he committed. So it’s difficult to separate the two acts from each other. He was obviously found not guilty of the first crime, but that doesn’t change the fact that the overwhelming sense of circumstantial evidence pointed to his guilt in that instance.”

Charles Glasgow, 63, a retired federal government employee, from Adelphi, Maryland:
“I’m happy he is getting let out. ... Everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe even third and fourth chances.”

Reece Marcelle, 17, a Terp Young Scholar studying kinesiology, from Bowie Maryland:
“O.J. was a goat (Greatest of All Time) in the NFL, but honestly I could care less. … But it’s always good for someone to live the last few years of their life out of jail.”

John Koroma, 21, an economics major at the University of Maryland, from Upper Marlboro, Maryland:
“I feel like he was guilty of a crime and that he should receive that punishment for that crime. [But] I don’t think he’s a danger anymore.”  

Meena Sundrum,15, a Terp Young Scholar from Montgomery County, Maryland:
“ I’m neutral. He’s so old he can’t do anything that bad anymore. He’s gonna die soon.”

Brendan Atkinson, 19, an athletic training major at Rowan University, from Sicklerville, New Jersey:   
“I don’t think he should be up for parole, that’s kind of … ridiculous. … Why should he be up for parole? I guess there [are] a lot of eyes on him to like make sure that he’s not gonna do anything stupid or anything against the law.”

Joe Cwick, 24, a seminarian, from Bethesda, Maryland:
“I wish I knew more about it, but I always find it interesting how his case gets so much publicity. … I hope the case is solved for the betterment of the common good.”

--Reported by Jackson Clark, Sarah Elbeshbishi, Emily Gallant, Yosef Malka, Trevor Miller, Destiny Patton, Elizabeth Shirley, Louise Sloman and Anthony Qu.





No comments: